BLUE COLLAR MLM: Work Smart, Not Hard

I help people who work for a living and want to create their financial freedom--- but don't have the time, money, or skills to do it. Reading my blog makes it easy!

August 10, 2005

“Fishing Didn’t Kill Daddy”

Two things affect your judgment; TRUTH and REALITY.

Most people think they’re the same thing. But they’re not. I’ll give you an example.

“The sun rises in the east and sets in the west.” True or False?
Answer: FALSE. I’ll explain.

If you get up tomorrow morning at sunrise and look for the sun, you’ll see it right where it always is, in the eastern sky. Then you can watch it move in an upward, westward motion. Come back this evening a little before sunset, and you can actually watch it disappear into the western horizon--- “setting”, if you will. This is REALITY. You can see it with your own eyes. But is it the TRUTH?

No.

The truth is that the sun doesn’t rise and fall at all. But from Earth, it looks like it does because you’re standing still on a round planet that’s tilted on its axis and rotating at about 60 miles an hour. The sun is still. YOU’RE moving. And that’s the truth.

But how do you tell somebody that they don’t see what they’re looking at? They don’t feel the earth moving under their feet; gravity is holding them in place. They look up and see the large round object moving from one place to the other. For them it’s for REAL, which is where we get the word “reality” (real-ity).

There is a saying among smart people, “the perception IS the reality”. The rest of us respond, “Say what? Don’t make this hard for us. Just tell us if it IS or ISN’T.”

But it’s not that simple. It’s either/or, or BOTH, depending on who you’re talking to and what you’re talking about. This is a puzzle that I try to solve in my work each day. Not in physics or in astronomy, but in MARKETING.

You see, I’m what’s called a NETWORK marketer, something that means different things to different people. Most people don’t know what it means at all. I get paid to do something that most people do for free.

If you buy something and like it, you naturally tell people. If they buy it too, you don’t make any money; you just have the satisfaction of sharing a good thing. I’m satisfied too, but I get paid for sharing. As a commission, I earn a portion of the sales made by my referrals. When somebody wants to learn how to do what I do, I can teach them. And when they make referrals that result in sales, they get paid, and I get paid some more.

HERE’S WHERE I FIGHT the truth/reality battle: some people think that what I do is bad, but it’s NOT. Like anything else, it CAN be done badly, but in and of itself, it’s good. The irony is, it pays more money than most people make who say that it’s bad! And I have more control of my time as well as my income. If it’s raining tomorrow, I don’t have to brave the elements; I can work at home and watch the rain from the window. I can run my business from anywhere in the country with a phone and an Internet connection.

I don’t have a job. I run a business of my own. The REALITY of that is scary. Reality says that 8 out of 10 businesses fail because they either don’t make enough money, or they mismanage the money they get. For me, the reality is that most network marketers fail because they either don’t make enough of those referrals, or the business that supports them goes under.

The TRUTH is that things can be done to prevent those failures. But most people who want to work for themselves won’t even try because the reality scares them so much.

“80% OF ALL BUSINESSES FAIL WITHIN 5 YEARS BECAUSE THEY EITHER RUN OUT OF MONEY, OR DON’T HAVE ENOUGH TO BEGIN WITH.”

Yikes!

Reality can sometimes make us irrational. But if we really want to do something, reality shouldn’t stop us. Let’s say someone likes fish and wants to go fishing. But they pick up the paper and the headline reads,

“80% OF ALL FISHERMEN DROWN EVERY 5 YEARS BECAUSE THEY EITHER DON’T KNOW HOW TO SWIM, OR DON’T HAVE A LIFE JACKET”.

If that were the reality, a lot of people would stop fishing, eating fish, or both. But that would be irrational, because fish is good. And so is fishing. The problem is in the part of the headline that reads,

“…because they either don’t know how to swim, or don’t have a life jacket.”

A lot of people would say,

“I don’t like fishing.”

Why? Do you ever go?

“No. I don’t even eat fish. Fish bad. Fishermen worse.”

I resent that, because I’m a fisherman and I love fish! What do you mean?

“Well, it’s nothing against you personally, it’s just that my daddy drowned while fishing. Just like most fishermen do. You read the papers.”

Oh. I’m sorry. Did he know how to swim?

“No, he didn’t.”

Was he wearing a life jacket?

“Well, no… he didn’t even own a life jacket. Said he didn’t need it. But fishin’ killed my daddy, and I’ll be damned if it’s gonna kill me too! I won’t even look at a fish!”

I’m sorry about Daddy. You must be devastated. But with all due respect, fishing didn’t kill Daddy. DROWNING DID.

You see, a lot more people could be successful in my kind of business, but they get into it without the skill and safety needed to survive. When reality screws them up, they blame the business. What’s worse, they keep other people from trying by telling them the reality.

That’s where I go to work. I tell people the TRUTH so they won’t be confused by REALITY. The truth is that I CAN HELP YOU make up to $150,000 or more, part-time over the next three years--- and give you what it takes to be safe and successful.

Reality is that you can work on jobs for 40 years and in the end have nothing but bills to show for it.

So… what’ll it be, TRUTH, or REALITY?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home